Friday, March 9, 2012

Stormy weather

I'm about a week late on this, but I'm sure everyone has heard about the tornadoes that hit Paulding County last Friday. Well it hit our subdivision really hard, meaning that it basically destroyed our neighborhood. It's heartbreaking to drive around here. Everyone has tarps on their roofs, their windows are boarded up, yards are covered with fallen trees and limbs. Our usually quiet neighborhood is now busy with contractors, roofers, constant chainsawing, & hammering. As I type this, the Dish guy is here walking around trying to figure out where he is going to mount the satellite since our we haven't been re-roofed yet. We've had to put 'No Soliciting' signs up at the top of our driveway since they have been like vulchers. Saturday(the day after) cops had to close off our neighborhood bc apparently we were the big attraction of the day for everyone in Paulding County. I tried to leave around 2 and couldn't even get out of my driveway hardly. I had words with quite a few people that day. I just couldn't take it anymore. I felt like we were some kind of freak show that everyone wanted to come see. Sunday was no better. Elyse was with her Grammie and Brandon had gotten called to work at around 6 am so I was really wanting to sleep in, esp after not sleeping at all the night of the tornado. But no, contractors started ringing my doorbell at 8am. I was irate. So I put a sign on the door that basically said if you weren't here with a hammer or a shovel, then don't even think of ringing my doorbell. It worked too, so that afternoon I moved it up and put it on the mailbox so they wouldn't even come down the driveway. 

It these kind of times when you realize exactly who you can rely on. Darryl and Dennis(Brandon's dad & uncle) were here first thing Sat am and got to work. All day long, people were in and out bringing materials, and volunteering to help us. My friend Angela came over first thing that morning (my phone had been dead since we had no power) and helped me clean out the fridge & freezer and salvage anything we could & stored it at her house. Then brought us back breakfast. Misty came that evening and brought all dinner and hung out with me for awhile. It was great to have company to take my mind off of what was going on around me. The power finally came back on Saturday night after being off for 23 hours. A bunch of Brandon's family called or dropped by to check on us, but of course no one in mine did. Sometimes I forget that I really don't have any family, but it's times like me that I'm slapped in the face with the reminder. Heck, some of our friends didn't even check on us, but most did. I made a mental note of the people that didn't though, mark my word on that.

It's going to take months to get all the trees and everything cleared out, but once we do, we are going to have a nice big front and back yard for Miss E to play in. That's the upside in all of this I guess. We were just so incredibly blessed that none of us got hurt and that our house wasn't worse than what is was. 

On an unrelated topic, I put the twin bed up in Miss E's room and she absolutely loves it. On the other hand, it made me sad last night when she said she wanted to go night night in her big girl bed and went right to sleep in it. She has slept with me every night of her life(except when she spends the night with Grammie) and I'm not ready to let that go yet. Luckily Brandon could see that and moved her to our bed when I was ready to go to sleep. I guess I'm just not ready to have her grow up and be so independent. I love going to bed and laying down next to her and saying a prayer for her while she sleeps. I love snuggling in with her and the way she rolls into me as soon as I lie down. So we decided that she can decide where she wants to fall asleep, but one of us will just move her before we go to sleep.

I don't really have time to go into anything else since the Dish guy is coming up to the front door, but I will try to this weekend to update everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment