Monday, February 21, 2011

Rant: SAHM vs Working Mom

I hate that my first post is going to be a rant but this is what has been on my mind recently.  I've noticed since becoming a SAHM that working moms and even other people tend to look down on us.  Working mom's (not all I know, but a lot) think they have it harder because they put in a 40 hour work week while their kid is in daycare, then they go pick them up and take over the mom duties.  This really rubs me the wrong way.   I don't judge you for choosing to put your child in daycare so you can work, so don't judge me for choosing not to pur my child in daycare and raise her myself.  If you want to spend hundreds of dollars a week for someone to do it for you, then that's your choice.  Mine is to raise my kid myself.  I truly believe that no one can care for my daughter better than I can.  It's not selfish, in fact, I've realized it's quite the opposite.  I gave up my job, and basically my life to stay home with Elyse. Being a SAHM is an investment in my child.  I love her enough to give her 100% of myself.  She is the most important thing I'll ever do(with the exception of my marriage).  I don't want to see her just nights and weekends.  No, I don't get paid vacations, and a lunch hour, and a lot less adult interaction, but what I get is so much better than that.  I get to watch my daughter grow.  I get to see all of her firsts, I get to teach her new things.  I don't miss anything that she does.   Being a SAHM is what it best for my family, so it is what I do.


I love it when people think that it is just gravy and sitting on my butt all day.  Ha!  That is a joke!  My 13 month old has more energy than I know what to do with.  She is a spitfire at this age and I love it!  She does wear me slap out, but she is so much fun.  We don't sit around and watch TV all day.  Heck there's not a TV on in the house right now.  We play, we go outside, we run errands, we have learning time, we read... you get the point.  When she naps, that's when I do the house stuff, the laundry, dishes, dusting, sweeping, etc.  I don't get an hour lunch break or heck even a shower some days.  I can't go grocery shopping or run errands myself because she is in daycare, nope she does everything with me. I get to sit down at the end of the night when she finally falls asleep (between 9 & 10 most nights) and by then I'm so exhausted from the days events that I just crash too!


The point of this rant is not to say SAHM mom's are better or working moms are better.  The point is that it doesn't matter which one you are, be respectful of the other.  I may probably piss some people off with this, but I honestly don't care because I'm so tired of being looked down on because I choose to raise my kid over having a career.  We should all be able to do what we feel is best for our families without being judged.

No comments:

Post a Comment