Sunday, February 27, 2011

Today, Heaven gained an angel.

My great aunt Helen passed away early this morning (2/27).  Although she was 90 years old, it has come as quite a shock.  She wasn't and hasn't been in very good condition for a while now.  She had many medical things wrong with her and everyday was a struggle.  I had become quite naive thinking that she would just live forever because every time she would undergo something and the doctors doubted that she would make it, she always pulled through.  


It's the way that she went that is so hard to take for me.  Sometime during the night she woke up to go to the bathroom.  She was very weak and she fell and hit her head in the bathroom and died instantly.  She was found by a nurse in the morning.  It's just very disturbing to me that after everything this woman has been through, that's how she passed.  But at least she was in her home and not in a hospital.  


Her viewing is tomorrow and the funeral is Tuesday.  There won't be many people there because she had outlived all of her family (She was the last remaining Scroggs) and her friends.  She was a beautiful soul.  That's the best way I know how to describe her. She never married or had kids, but she took care of kids her whole life and I've never seen a child with her that didn't love her.  My daughter met her for the first time when she was 10.5 months old and going through a phase where she didn't want to go to anyone.  But she went straight to Helen.  They loved each other and has a blast together that day.  I regret that I never brought Elyse to her and that's something that I will have to live with for the rest of my life.  I hate that Elyse will never know her, hear her bible stories, or her stories from her life.  She had a million stories and we always loved to hear them.  


She was the most Christian woman I have ever known.  And I know that she is happy tonight because she has been reunited with her parents, her siblings, and all the other loved ones that passed before her.  I know she would be telling us to not cry and to be happy for her.  Rest in peace Helen.  You were a beautiful soul and you will be missed.

1 comment:

  1. That is such a sweet story and I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of such a great woman! Just know that she is heaven watching over your little girl! Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete